HOW TO CARE FOR BRAIDS, WEAVES AND EXTENSIONS
Before deciding to wear Braids, Weaves and Extensions, there are some facts you need to consider.
- What is the state of your hair. Is it natural, or processed with chemicals? If natural, is it in a healthy state. Is it dry and breaking, is your hairline healthy or has it been damaged with various tight hairstyles? If processed, what is the state of health of your hair? Has it got damaged hairline, is it also breaking or is it healthy?
- Braids, Weaves and Extensions will not help your hair if your hair is already damaged from various forms of abuse that you have subjected your hair to. We can offer our guide if you need our support on any of your hair issues. We do not want you to go bald before you get old. Contact us for advice.
- Our mission is to offer you glamorous natural healthy hairstyles. World of Braiding is a Place where nature means glamour.
GETTING READY TO START YOUR BRAIDS, WEAVES & EXTENSIONS
- To get started, your hair has to be freshly shampooed and conditioned.
- Your stylist will check the state of your hair to let you know what the condition is. If it is dry and lack moisture, you will be advised on the best products. On the other hands, if you have damaged hairline etc, you will also be advised on what to use. If you have special hair and scalp conditions such as hair lice, ring worm etc, you will be advised on where to go for help.
- Before getting your hair on, your stylist will have a full and detailed consultation with you to understand the hairstyle you want. This will include you giving your stylist an image of what you are wishing to have, finding out how you like to wear the hair, style you want, type of extensions you prefer and why, how long you want to wear your hair, the length of the extensions you want etc. We will give you guidance on the style you choose and the extensions you prefer etc.
AFTER YOUR BRAIDS, WEAVE AND EXTENSIONS SERVICE
- Your stylist will give you advice on how to maintain your hairstyle so it remains in its top style. In addition to your advice, these are our general guide to help you enjoy your hair.
GENERAL GUIDE IF YOU WEAR BRAIDS, WEAVES AND EXTENSIONS
- If you wear chemically processed hair, avoid:
- putting too much extensions weight on your hair strands as they overweigh your hair and make them fall out from the roots.
- Do not hold the scalp too tight as it leads to headaches and traction alopecia.
- Avoid micro-braids – they are unhealthy for chemically processed hair. They come out with your hair strands.
- Do not braid hair immediately after a chemical retouch. Hair is fragile and at its weakest. Give your hair at least 2 weeks to grow out before braiding.
- Ensure the style you choose is right and consistent with the health of your natural hair and hairline.
- GENERAL ADVICE FOR BRAIDS, WEAVES AND EXTENSIONS
- Braid with a good quality synthetic fibre or human hair.
- Visit your stylist at regular intervals to maintain your braids.
- Your Braids should be kept clean – use dry shampoo to cleanse or depending on the type of extensions you use, shampoo at least every week or about 2 weeks intervals.
- Avoid tight braids especially around the hairline.
- Do not leave hair for more than 3 months as it locks itself.
- Visit your stylist for a hairline touch up after about 4 – 6 weeks to give your braids a fresh look.
- Let your stylist take out your braids, weaves or extensions as it minimises breakage and damage.
- Always brush out the tight knots and dirt in your hair after taking out your braids, weaves and extensions before the shampoo service.
- When shampooing /washing braids/ weaves, do not apply shampoo straight to your hair. Dilute the shampoo with ¾ water and ¼ shampoo before application.
- Where possible, use shower to wash your braids /weaves.
- Do not use creme conditioners after washing braids/weaves, use liquid leave –in conditioners.
- To dry, allow braids to dry naturally or sit under low heat dryer – for weaves, sit under hooded dryer and allow weave to dry completely or it creates mould and odours.
- Cover hair at night to avoid frizziness.
- To cover, use silk or satin scarf. They do not soak moisture.
- Apply braid sheen on your braid strands and scalp as often as required depending on your hair type and scalp condition. It helps to moisturise your hair and take away dryness.
- Do not put creams on your hair as they block your hair follicles and stop your hair from growing.
- For help with particular hairstyles, contact us for advice.
GLAM YOUR LOOK! KEEP YOUR HAIR!!!
Premier hair for natural girls who love glamour.
+44 208 983 9815, +44 7946 439 057
email us to be on our mailing list.
Joy Phido (SRH)
CEO – World of Braiding & Extensions
Natural Hair & Extensions Specialist, Consultant, Designer and Educator.
World of Braiding & Extensions is the premier institution for Natural Hair & Extensions teaching vocational training with Skills, Education & Information.
Filed under: NATURAL HAIR STYLES Tagged: | braids, care for natural black hair, caring for natural hair, extensions, hair extensions, healthy hair, natural afro hair, Natural hair and extensions specialist, natural hair beauty, natural hair styles, Weaves