11 PRACTICAL STEPS TO GROW HEALTHY AFRO HAIR
1 Chemicals – Avoid these as they come in various forms. Relaxers have the most damaging chemical with sodium hydroxide and others such as Perms, colourings, texturisers etc contain different levels of chemicals. These products strip the hair of its natural ingredients and make them lifeless, dry and easy to break. Where possible, think alternative ways of grooming your hair with natural materials and options which give you beauty and glamour as well.
2 Moisturise; moisturise; moisturise. Look out for products that clearly say lotion or detangling moisturiser. Examples – Lustre’s Pink Oil Moisturiser Hair Lotion, Motions Lotions, Kids Organics Lotion Shea Butter Detangling Moisturising Hair Lotion etc. These products prevent dryness which leads to breakage.
3 Deep Conditioning Treatment. First wash with protein moisturising shampoo. Then deep condition which helps to keep the hair and scalp healthy.
4 Trim. Regularly trimming tips keeps split ends away from causing additional damage.
5 Leave-in conditioners. Apply leave-in conditioners to your scalp when you wear braids & weaves. Some examples – Infusium 23, Isoplus 24-7 etc
- Taking out braids – When you wear braids, weaves and extensions, be careful when taking them out as this is the time when hair is damaged most.
- Style selection – When deciding on the style to wear, make sure your natural hair suits the style you choose. It should not always be about the beauty, but always about the health of your hair which can then be made glamorous with the style that is recommended.
6 Hot Oil treatment. Condition your scalp with hot oil treatments. This helps to open up your pores and get your hair growing again.
7 Healthy eating. Your body breaks down and dissolves healthy foods quicker which it can use easily as nutrients that it needs. Example of healthy foods – Whole foods, fresh fruits, green leafy vegetables, sufficient protein – you can’t have new hair without this as hair is made of protein.
8 Water. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. It transports the vitamins, minerals, amino acids and other nutrients. It cleanses your system of waste, detoxify your system etc.
9 Exercises. Take lots of exercises. This helps to bring in oxygen that cleanses your system and allows your blood to circulate properly.
10 Sleep. Take time to relax and sleep. It allows the cells to repair itself.
11 Vitamin supplements. Use vitamin supplements to complement your healthy food intake.
These help to grow hair quicker. They create healthy scalp which stimulates hair follicles and encourage a good environment for quick growth.
– Vitamin A: helps to maintain normal growth and bone development, protective sheathing around nerve fibers, as well as promoting healthy skin, hair and nails.
– Vitamin C: is an antioxidant that helps maintain good circulation flushes toxins from the body and improves the immune system; all of which helps with strong, healthy hair.
– Copper: helps with pigment and stimulates dormant hair follicles.
– B-Complex: used to create healthy cells in every part of the human body–especially those involved in metabolic reactions, skin and circulation.
– Zinc: helps cell production, tissue growth and repair, and the maintenance of the oil-secreting glands of the scalp.
– Vitamin E: increases oxygen to improve circulation to the scalp.
JOY PHIDO – IS THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE, THE CHIEF TRAINER & CREATIVE DIRECTOR OF WORLD OF BRAIDING & EXTENSIONS
JOY HAS TAUGHT HAIR BRAIDING & EXTENSIONS IN VARIOUS LONDON COUNCILS INCLUDING NEWHAM AND HARROW. WITH OVER 7 YEARS EXPERIENCE OF TEACHING HAIR BRAIDING & EXTENSIONS, SHE HAS TRAINED STUDENTS FROM VARIOUS UK CITIES AND ALL OVER THE WORLD – USA, POLAND, NORWAY, SLOVAKIA, SWITZERLAND, NETHERLAND, SOUTH AFRICA, BARBADOS, ZIMBABWE, NIGERIA, KENYA, CAMEROUN, UGANDA, GHANA,IRELAND, WALES TO NAME A FEW.
DON’T MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY TO TAKE HAIR BRAIDING TO THE NEXT LEVEL WHERE WE CAN TRAIN YOU IRRESPECTIVE OF RACE, AGE OR GENDER FROM COMPLETE BEGINNER TO PROFESSIONAL LEVEL.
WITH HAIRBRAIDING NOW MADE POPULAR BY CELEBRITIES, YOU TOO CAN START YOUR HAIR BRAIDING CAREER AND GROW TO BECOME A SUCCESSFUL SALON OWNER
Filed under: HAIR BRAIDING WORKSHOPS |