TOP 5 TIPS ON HOW TO GROW NATURAL HAIR
We constantly get contacted by Black women all over the world for guide on how to grow their natural hair. These questions vary hence we have made it our business to add our focus on educating Black women in particular on hints and tips of how to care for the natural hair. We are always creating videos on our Youtube channel to help people as well so please visit youtube and search worldofbraiding channel to find out more.
Generally most people believe that the natural Black hair does not grow or when it grows; it does not grow as quickly as they would want. Generally Hair grows at an average of ½ inch per month (about 1.2cm per month). This comes to about 13cm a year. You will be able to retain length and notice growth in your hair based on how well you treat your Black hair.
Here are some basic 5 tips to help grow your natural Black hair:
1. START WITH A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE: Hair grows from inside and hair is a fiber that is part of our cells which grows from the subdivision of our cells in the hair follicles. For this reason, we need natural healthy food that the body can easily break down for digestion in order for our hair to grow. The foods we need for hair growth are fresh fruits and vegetables, meat, fish, eggs, nuts and wholemeal foods.
2. PLENTY OF WATER: Due to the unhealthy lifestyles we are forced to live with – synthetic foods, processed foods, genetically
modified foods, toxins in the air etc, the body is constantly battling with toxins which do not encourage healthy body for hair growth. To solve this problem, the body therefore needs lots of water for detoxification, lubricate food for digestion, aid digestion and reproduce the cells for hair growth. We also need lots of water to hydrate the hair so it does not become too dry.
3. NATURAL & MOISTURISING HAIR PRODUCTS: After the hair has grown out of the follicles, it needs care in order to avoid breakage. The natural Afro hair is coily and naturally dry due to lack of sebum travelling down the hair strands. Due to the coils and dryness of the Afro hair, it tangles itself and breaks easily with little manipulation. Use of wrong products such as sulphates in Shampoos, silicons in conditioners, chemical relaxers, dyes and use of heat etc cause the hair more dryness which lead to more breakage. Start using natural moisturising oils to help make the hair supple, easy to manage and grow quicker. These oils include jojoba oil, castor oil, rosemary oil, peppermint oil, shea butter, argan oil, broccoli seed oil etc. They contain active properties that help stimulate blood flow and make hair grow as well as contain moisturising properties that make the hair manageable and easy to care for.
4. MANIPULATION: When the natural hair has grown out, it requires less manipulation to avoid breakage. Handle with care as natural
hair is a very delicate fibre that breaks easily. Less manipulation means less combing, pulling, tugging, tucking, ponytails, clips, blow dryer, flat irons, tight braiding, tight weaving etc.
5. PROTECTIVE HAIRSTYLES: When the hair has grown out, you do not need to leave it hanging out all the time as it requires time and attention to care for it. You need healthy natural protective hair styles to retain your length and style. These styles include 2 strand twist, single plaits, cornrows, braids with extensions etc to help to grow and retain its length. These styles reduce manipulation. Remember not to hold the scalp too tight as it leads to hair loss and alopecia.
For any questions, comments or ability to add your personal experiences to our write up, please feel free to leave your comments or contact us using our details below for discussions.
World of Braiding & Extensions Group of Companies is made up of 4 major Service areas.
1. World of Braiding & Extensions Professional Natural Hair & Extensions Business School which offers education, knowledge & skill to students around the world with the mission to – get women into work & business. We train our students with the best ways to apply all the different natural hair & extensions techniques.
2. World of Braiding & Extensions Professional Natural Hair & Extensions Centre offering healthy hair & extensions service on client’s hair with the passion for healthy signature natural hair glamour. We consult with all clients before taking on a service of hair extensions. We care for your hair and ensure there are no damages.
3. World of Braiding & Extensions Black Hair Education & Solutions Center where our focus is to train Black women in the understanding of their natural hair and how to care for it to avoid damage & hair loss.
4. World of Braiding & Extensions Natural Hair Accessories & Extensions center. Providing all the materials you need to care for your hair.
If any of the issues mentioned in this article has affected you, or you have an experience you will like to share with us, please feel free to do so. Also email us if you need our advice on any issues in this article.
Tel: +44 1702 339 858, mob: +44 7946 439 057
Follow us on Social media:
Skype – joyphido
Joy a mother with her four children
About your Trainer
Joy Phido is an internationally established Natural Hair and Extensions Educator, Specialist, & Designer. Joy is a mother with 4 children and has first-hand experience on how difficult it is to work and run a family especially in the Western world. After working in corporate Nigeria as a banker and corporate England in telecoms, Joy tried her hands on buy and sell businesses which failed. She eventually realized that to succeed in business; you need to have a skill in your hands first. In addition to her natural passion and skill in hair designing, Joy took series of professional training from across different continents and now has the mission to give students real skill of running a hair Business. This is why World of Braiding has become a success and it is this passion of owning your own skill that motivates Joy in helping people who come to World of Braiding & Extensions for training.
Joy has a BSc in Business Admin, a qualified NVQ Level 3 Hairdresser, a State Registered Hairdresser (SRH) with UK Hairdressing Council, has over 20 years Natural Hair & Extensions experience. She is also a qualified teacher, an NLP practitioner with varied career experiences.
Before setting up World of Braiding & Extensions, Joy started teaching Braiding, Weaving & Extensions with the Newham Council Adult Education Department (Newceys) for 5 years at 4 Centres with some classes as big as 30 students. As the Chief Executive, Trainer and Artistic Director at World of Braiding & Extensions, her passion is to make Natural Hair and Extensions a professional skill as well as help stylist understand how to make money while designing glamorous clients.
Joy’s passion for natural hair is also associated with the fact that she experienced hair damage with chemical relaxers which made her start wearing natural hairstyles thereafter. She can be seen as the Doctor for healthy natural Afro hair where all her children wear natural hairstyles and she is no stranger on the internet writing from her blogs, teaching on Youtube with step-by-step videos to constantly enrich students’ knowledge with over 3million views and over 18,000 subscribers. She is also a Natural Hair & Extensions Business Mentor and adviser helping students & practitioners not only on how to get into the industry but how to become successful and prosper in the industry. She brings a wealth of knowledge and personal experience to this training to enhance your learning. World of Braiding & Extensions is constantly exhibiting at Hair events, giving talks in conference, taking part in major projects and designing hair for fashion shows and events.